Friday, March 26, 2010

newer work.

A quick update of some of the things that have been happening at the studio...

One of the pieces that I'm working on for the second half of the semester came out of the kiln today. Its a highfire porcelain body, but unfortunately the slip dots couldn't hold up in the extreme heat, so I tried a lowfire Duncan clear and it worked perfectly! The bodies aren't as white as I would like, so I might try and experiment with a midrange glaze as well.




Another version of the chromosome bowls. I think I'm going to try and experiment with different forms to put the slip dots on, as well as larger sizes.

What they look like pre-firing. The glaze is a pretty mint green before it goes into the kiln, I almost want to see if I can replicate that for a few of these pieces.


I also got a few things out of the glaze kiln today. I've been trying to play around with handles, even though they are my least favorite part of functional pottery. I didn't think these to were that bad though.


A detail shot of the inside of the midnight blue mug.

Easter mug! The color is much prettier in person. A lovely pastel green, right in time for Easter.


And finally, I've been working on chalices for my old church. I'm pretty happy with the way thy look now. The foot still needs a bit more work. I think I might try and carve even deeper, making little holes throughout the stem. As long as its still functional for communion!

No comments:

Post a Comment