Friday, February 19, 2010

studio update.

Finally some pictures of the studio... For the past month, I've been working on a plate project. I'm hoping to make a wall piece based on a particle collision (you can see my inspiration if you click on the picture below- it's the black and white picture hanging on the back wall). I've thrown over 90 pounds of clay, making 20+ plates that measure 11 inches across. I'll only use 16 for the wall piece, but I made extra in case I screw up somewhere in the process.

Here's my studio space. I need to create some sort of pillow to put over the air valve behind my wheel, its about an inch away from my head and I'm semi-afraid I'll crack my head open one day.

The beginning of trimming the feet of the plates. The pile of trimmings at the end of the day completely covered the front of my wheel.

A few plates drying. Also, I covered a crocheted a circle and then dipped it in casting slip - its hanging to dry in the front of this picture.

Different stages of drying - the plates on the left were part of the first round. They're slipped with white slip (essentially a liquid mixture of clay and water) and in the bone dry stage. The plates on the right have been slipped but are still leather hard.

Another picture of my studio with the plates.

The kiln room.


This is only a portion of the porcelain that I mixed up with a studio mate. We ended up with around 300 lbs. I've since learned that I never want to mix up my own clay again. Tooooo much work.

A side project I've been working on. I'm making pinch pots and decorating them with dots of slip. I like the idea of making the most basic form out of the most prestigious clay.
A close up of a pinch pot and and idea of what the size is like. I hope people will use them as ring holders or little bowls to put a tea bag during a tea party. the form itself only takes around 5 minutes, but the decorating takes some time. I'm still working out the kinks - not sure if the decoration matches the form. Any ideas?

There will be more pictures of possible glaze ideas and test tiles as soon as they're out of the kiln.

1 comment:

  1. i like the pinch pot--i think they will turn our pretty neat
    ain't no party like my nana's tea party--hey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk

    ReplyDelete