Tuesday, April 20, 2010

artist statement.

Part of the 5000 level ceramics class involves writing an artist statement. Here's what I've been able to figure out about my work so far...


Atoms are the building block of everything, and when joined together in a certain order they create something so complex it’s almost unimaginable. This idea is at the forefront of my work. Through iconic scientific imagery and the use of shape and multiples, this intangible concept is rendered more accessible. When viewed alone the piece is simply a plate, but when joined with its counterparts it becomes a complex set filled with layers of information.

Within each piece a perfect relationship between my chemistry and artistic background can be found. An unattainable microscopic view of scientific material is juxtaposed by a macroscopic and tactile ceramic form. Initially, my scientific background led me to conclude that an understanding of chemical relationships was inaccessible to the uninitiated. My goal is to make perplexing concepts such a nuclear physics approachable, and by placing them on a functional object they become manageable ideas, more inviting and appealing than if they were found in a 500-page textbook. The pieces then become vehicles that present larger ideas that can be accepted on the dinner table. My hope is that my work will give a glimpse into the mysterious world of science and excite the viewer, planting a seed of interest that remains long after the initial viewing.

1 comment: