Sunday, April 25, 2010

new project.


As a part of my directed research, I had to somehow link my chemistry education with my work in the art department. Though its still a little heavy on the artistic side, I think I came up with a pretty decent project. Using software in the chemistry department, I made the oxides that together form kaolinite (clay). Then using a lino-cut method, I made a 15"x13" rectangle to print from. A dry underglaze recipe and some linseed oil were used to create a printable ink, and then printed directly onto a slab of clay. Finally, a hump mold was used to create the bowls and plates. A few more things had to happen to complete the pieces, but that's the general idea. Here's a few pictures...


A close up of the underglaze on the clay slab.

Underside of the pieces.

The mold that I use.

Leatherhard pieces.


And I decided to have a make-a-thon by myself, so I started making closed forms and vases. My studiomate Maggie taught me how to make closed forms, and that's all I want to make now. They're so much fun! I think I'm going to turn the spheres into some sort of molecule-related jar. We'll see what happens.

1 comment: