Friday, January 22, 2010

soon to be on hiatus.

Who would have thought that the first week of class would be the most stressful? The last two days have been spent at the studio – all day and all night. I’ve decided to throw with porcelain this semester, and rather than buying it for $23 for 25lbs, I thought I’d try and make it. A colleague and I got a recipe from our professor and off we went, thinking it wouldn’t be too difficult. The process started at 1:30 PM yesterday and wasn’t complete until 2:30 PM today. Yup, that's right. It took over a day to do. We screwed up a few times, had to mix a powder that turned into a gel with the same qualities as lard, and haul 100 pound bags of powder clay up and down from the shelves surrounding us. But overall – totally worth it. I'll never do it again, but it was a good experience to have. I’ll get some pictures as soon as I get back from vacation.

Hawaii here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment